Proportions of OS pre-X & OS X users (was: RunRev Pricing)

Ian Wood ian at azurevision.co.uk
Wed Feb 25 11:15:35 EST 2004

My experience in the UK is that the print industry is the most
resistant, mainly because they often have complex workflows and it
would take time to reproduce those workflows on OS X.  In addition, the
print industry is so hard-pressed that they often run very old
equipment, my local (tiny) print shop runs QuarkXPress 3 on a 75MHz
Performa!  To run OS X they would have to replace everything from
scratch, including most of their SCSI peripherals.  X is great if you
have modern equipment, but I wouldn't want to run it on anything less
than a 350MHz G3 with lots of RAM.

Basically, if you have a complex workflow, you don't want to risk
getting it messed up.

Another factor is IT training.  Most computer users have simply
memorised where the bits they need are.  A good example is Control
Panels.  Once you have shown someone where the System Preferences are,
they don't need any further help with that bit, because it is so much
better laid out.  If you are prepared to get in someone who knows their
way around and give you a guided tour, it is absurdly easy to upgrade.
I do a lot of this for local artists, and get more phonecalls about
!X£&?@ epson printer drivers playing up than i do about the rest of OS
X put together.  In general, if people are finding that their support
costs are going up sharply they probably haven't done their
homework/research/training in the first place, and also do silly things
like installing every upgrade as soon as it comes out and not waiting a
week or two to hear about bugs.  That said, there have been some
decidedly 'beta' quality software releases from Apple recently...

Most people who are prepared to spend a couple of days learning where
things are love X and wouldn't go back to 9 unless you held them up at
gunpoint, me included...

For reference, my sales are around 10% Win, 20% OS <X and 70% OS X, but
that is software for panoramic photographers who tend to need
powerful/new computers anyway, and is worldwide sales rather than just
Europe.

Ian Wood

P.S.  I second the bit about doubling productivity on X, if just
because of instant wake from sleep and a laptop that hasn't been
switched off for a month.

On 25 Feb 2004, at 15:16, Thomas McGrath III wrote:

> Marc,

<snip>
> But, I stand by my statement: "OSX has proved to me that my
> productivity has doubled since I switched and with each new flavor of
> OSX has only gotten better." I have always been a user that would
> 'rather use my computer than fix/twiddle with my computer'. and OSX
> allows for both. I can get more work done now in such a little amount
> of time that my bosses have started to throw way too much work at me
> and expecting me to get it done.

<snip>