Serious applications

Pierre Sahores psahores at easynet.fr
Wed Feb 25 09:16:49 EST 2004

Hi,

I'm designing, programming and mantaining such kind of "n-tier"
applications under Linux (since 1998) and MacOSX (since 2003). Most of
those apps are designed to be served over the Internet to  Web browsers
or dedicated proprietary end-users clients.

Those apps are buid around Metacard or Revolution applications servers
binded, one side, to Apache trough a ".PHP" based TCP/IP sockets
listener/port translator and, second side, to a PostgreSQL 7.xx DBMS.
You probably know, as me, that PostgreSQL (in between some others DBMS,
such Firebird, SABDB or Sybase ASE, realy roocks. At this point, the
only pending question is to know if the Revolution engine (or his
father, Metacard) will roocks too, in acting as the applications
servers engine. The answer is from my own experience fully positive :
it's YES ! Some of my intensive "80% write-mode" apps are handling up
to 200 connections/second 12/24 hours 6/7 days (Linux x86, Athlon 800,
1Go RAM, processor idle state always over 90%) and, i did never have a
server stop or crash or any else problems from the production beginning
: just one server restart when the provider has electricity hang-ups
and, always without problems on the servers them self. I, just, don't
know, for yet, what is the real charge limit of my MC/RR applications
servers (400, 800, 1000, 1500, more ? connections/second)...

As, i'm, on the other hand working on a University académic project
designed as a J2EE solution (Apache+JBoss+EJB2+PostgreSQL under Linux),
i just can compare one of my MC-based apps, i cloned under the J2EE
platform : the Java issue is OK too but seems to respond slower to the
end-users requests.

At this time, i don't expect to switch my production's apps under the
J2EE platform but, indeed, if i can get enought time, i will work in
about porting the EJB2 design patterns architecture under the
Revolution platform.

Ask, off-list, for more precisions, even for a test account on
productions apps, if needed :-)

Hope this helps,
-- Bien cordialement, Pierre Sahores

100, rue de Paris
F - 77140 Nemours

psahores at easynet.fr

GSM:   +33 6 03 95 77 70
Pro:      +33 1 41 60 52 68
Dom:    +33 1 64 45 05 33
Fax:      +33 1 64 45 05 33

Inspection académique de Seine-Saint-Denis
Applications et SGBD ACID SQL (WEB et PGI)
Penser et produire "delta de productivité"