save dialogue stuck

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Feb 23 15:02:19 EST 2004

> On 2/23/04 10:41 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>
>>> Scott Raney used to recommend that stacks not go above
>>

>>  > 3-5,000 cards or so before being moved to a more formal
>>  > database. That isn't a hard number, just a suggestion.
>>
>> That's predicated on the assumption that you're using a stack
 >> as a flat table.  If you use arrays or tab-delimited chunk
 >> in custom properties you can safely exceed that by many times;
>

> Can you do a search and/or find with that system? For imported
 > HC database stacks, that's usually the show stopper. If you
 > have a method for searching, I could sure use it myself. Do
 > you iterate through all the properties/text chunks? Is that
 > fast enough?

"Fast enough" is relative?  It's not nearly as fast as HyperCard's Find
(what is?), but it's not bad.

FWIW, sequential traversal of tab-delimited text benchmarks about 15-20%
faster than sequentially traversal of an array.  However if you need
random access based on keys, arrays can be orders of magnitude faster
for single lookups.