Parentheses

David Vaughan dvk at dvkconsult.com.au
Sun Feb 22 18:42:58 EST 2004

On 23/02/2004, at 9:00, FlexibleLearning at aol.com wrote:

> From: FlexibleLearning at aol.com
> Date: 23 February 2004 5:20:08 GMT+11:00
> To: use-revolution at lists.runrev.com
> Subject: Re: PARENTHESES
>

> Your right about the ^ being a caret/carrot.
> But what then are the left and right angle brackets called besides left
> and right brackets or less than/greater than???
>
> any ideas???

The nearest to a formal name for left and right angle brackets is
guillemet. Normally, these appear as << >> and are used in European
languages but the single form, a single guillement, is also used in
typography. However, the guillemet is actually quite a bit smaller than
the angle bracket used in most computer character sets while
typographers also use a taller, less-angled version called.... well
actually I don't know what that one is called (Tall Guillemet? Slim
Guille?), so someone still has room to enlighten me. It seems perfectly
good to me to keep calling them left and right angle brackets, or else
you will sound like you are navigating in a rally for a manic in a
Citroen.

cheers
David