[OT] Cross Mac Platform Text Editing

SimPLsol at aol.com SimPLsol at aol.com
Fri Feb 20 11:49:13 EST 2004

Rob,
Perhaps I'm going at this the wrong way but I think the problem must be
related to the transfer. In the last couple years I've repeatedly moved from OS X
to classic to OS 9 on the same computer and had no trouble opening AppleWorks 6
docs and Microsoft Word docs in any of the three platforms, created in any of
the three platforms. Of course straight text files might be another issue, I
have no experience there.
Apple has apparently still not decided what to do with creator codes (and the
entire resource fork, for that matter). Currently in OS X the creator code
(if one exists) gets precedence over the file extension (if one exists).
I am surprised moving the file by CD did not work.
Just a note, on the file transfer problems I mentioned previously with flash
cards stripping the resource fork; I did find transfers from OS 9 to OS X
worked better than transfers made the other way.
OS X also includes invisible files with file transfers (like ds_store) which
become visible in OS 9. This is a real nightmare when you create automatic
the now visible ds_store as one of the plugins).
Hope some of this helps you.
Paul Looney