Binary objects

A.C.T. albrecht at act-net.com
Fri Feb 20 04:43:21 EST 2004

Hi, revoluzzers :-)

I am "brand new" to Revolution, my first contacts with hypercard-like
tools also were my last: Toolbook on Windows, about 12 years ago. I am
currently trying to get comfortable with Revolution - or, more
precisely, with "Transcript" - to minimize the work needed to get
cross-platform tools.

As a "starter" I plan to "port" some older tools I did in C, which read
in JPEG files and parse the attached headers (JFIF etc) according to
some specific rules, handling Photoshop-chunks etc.
I understand that rewriting the decoding in "Transcript" would be best
to get a cross-platform version. I have to admit that I find Transcript
extremely difficult to read, at least imagining a larger project with
complex "parsing functions". Most likely this is a question of getting
used to Transcript.

My question now is: I have browsed the documentation but did not find a
detailed description about how to handle binary objects. So that is why
I described my "test project" above: I need to read in a JPEG file (no
display needed or wanted), eventually decode it into a bitmap memory
area (I understand this decoded bitmap is available as an object after
the JPEG has been read in, I found something about that in the docs).
And I need access to all header chunks in the file, so I can parse them.
I would love to have a "C-like" language for that, since I am used to
that for about 20 years or longer, but learning something new may be fun :-)

Could someone here point me to the right place in the documentation
where handling binary objects and parsing them is described?

Erm, and: Is there a plain text version of the docs? I find the short
chapters and the help-browser (on Windows) some kind of unsuportive :-)

Many thanks for your assistance,
Marc Albrecht
A.C.T. / level-2
Glinder Str. 2