Scrolling a Card?

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Thu Feb 19 20:27:17 EST 2004

> But what confuses is me is what does it mean by "make the
> group the same size as the stack window..."? If you do that,
> what is the scroll for?

Here's an example: Let's say you want to be able to view an image that
is larger than the current card. You'll need to be able to scroll to be
able to get to the various parts of the image to view. From the user's
perspective they think they're scrolling the window, but what's really
happening is that they're scrolling the group.

To make this happen:

1) Find/make a large image (let's say 800x600).
2) Create a stack whose size is 640x480
3) Import the image onto the card - it will (of course) be too big to
fit, but it will still be there.
4) With the image selected, group it (choose "Group Selected" from the
Object menu)
5) Then, set the rect of the group to the rect of the card ("set the
rect of group 1 to the rect of this card")
6) Open the Properties palette for the group and display the vertical
and horizontal scrollbars
7) Set the lockLocation of the group to true
8) Switch to browse mode, and you'll see that you'll be able to use the
scrollbars in the group to see the different parts of the image.

The bottom line is that if the size of the group object is *small* than
the size of the contents of the group, you can use the scrollbars of the
group to navigate within that "space". The reason for setting the
lockLocation of the group to true is that if you leave it false, the
next time you add or adjust an object that is *inside* of the group (say
with the pointer tool and "Select Grouped" turned on in the toolbar),
the group will automatically expand to a size that fits its contents. If
you set the lockLocation to true, the group will stay at whatever size
it was resized to regardless of the size of its contents.

HTH,

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com