Transparent Dialogs and Multiple Choice Tutorial

Wilhelm Sanke sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de
Wed Feb 18 16:03:43 EST 2004

"User contributions" have been updated, surely a sign that Heather
Williams has recovered that much to be able to lend a hand again.
Welcome back and best wishes for a complete recovery in the immediate
future!

I uploaded two contributions to the RunRev site:

- "Transparent Dialogs" and sort of a  "Multiple Choice Tutorial" - a
stack I choose mainly, but not only,  to show how the dialogs behave.

The "transparent dialogs" - modified ask and answer dialogs that can be
used with the "ask"- and "answer"-commands- differ in three respects
from the Rev dialogs:

- They do *not* display the sometimes exaggerated width of the dialogs
provided with version 2.1.2 of Revolution, about which list members have
complained.

- The location of the dialogs can be set anywhere relative to the
calling stack or the screen by adding a script line before using the
"answer"- or
  "ask"-command like with
   "set the NewLoc of stack "answer dialog" to x,y".
   Of course you have to compute the relative position x,y before.
    "NewLoc" is a custom property that is set to empty when the stack
closes; thus, if you do not specify a NewLoc, the dialog stacks are set
to the
     center of the calling stack (or somewhat lower on MacOS) as usual.

-  The "transparent dialogs" show the underlying area of the calling
stack or screen beneath a semi-transparent background-PNG. The
transparency of the covering PNG is set to about 35% to allow viewing
the underlying area and at the same time enabling the user  to read the
text of the dialogs.
I have also set the textsize to 14, the textstyle to bold, and the
textfont to "verdana" - a font both available on the Mac and Wimdows
platforms - to improve readability.
The "transparency" is achieved by taking a snapshot of the underlying
area before opening the dialog stack and putting the snapshot on layer 1
under the semi-transparent PNG. The ID of the incorporated snapshot
image is reset each time to the same value when the dialog is opened.

If you should like to try out - and possibly further modify - these
dialogs, you could replace the Revolution dialogs with these
"transparent dialogs", but I would recommend to set  them as substacks
of any stacks of your choice. Thus they would be called instead of the
dialogs of the Revolution IDE (or - for that matter - the Metacard IDE)
when you use the "answer"- or "ask"-commands.

If you don't like the imported semi-transparent pngs of the dialogs,
just replace them - at the same layer - with a semi-transparent png of
your choice.
As the width and height of the dialogs differ, you need to use a PNG
with a size that takes into account the expected maximum size of the
dialogs.

(Tested on Windows XP, 98, and MacOS X).--

The "Multiple Choice Tutorial" is more an introductory demonstration of
different multiple-choice formats with short explanations than an
explicit tutorial with a detailed discussion of the pros and cons of
each format.

Multiple Choice is a very common, but by modern standards  not very
effective teaching and testing tool. Even the  SAT and ACT tests are
slowly undergoing changes today as non-multiple-choice portions are
added to them.
But multiple-choice still remains  a widely used test format (e.g.
Stephen Messimer's "Preceptor Tools" also contain  different
multiple-choice types) and students are eager to learn how to construct
and use them.

I  translated a sample stack - that  we use at our institution as an
introduction for students -  hopefully into understandable English.

This stacks contains 7 different formats of multiple-choice questions,
arranged in "incremental" steps from a primitive version with fixed
positions of solution and distractors (which should be avoided by all
means) to a version with flexible positioning with the option to choose
the number of problems from a repertoire and a "loop" for unsolved
problems. After all problems have been worked on, the user gets the
option to try the "wrong" problems once more etc. Thus the programs
adapts to the individual needs of the user.

There are a number of things that need to be refined or "fine-tuned"
(like restricting user input into the ask dialog to a certain range and
specific keys) as it is not a final application intended for sale.

For better inspection the scripts are distributed across a number of
buttons whose script lengths are similar - but not equal - to the
Starter Kit limits, but most of these can only be edited with licensed
versions of Metacard or Revolution.

The scripts can also be inspected easily by pressing the "display
scripts" button and moving the mouse cursor over the buttons.

The stack uses the "transparent dialogs" described above.

Regards,

Wilhelm Sanke