rev and languages

Charles Silverman charlessilverman at sympatico.ca
Wed Feb 18 13:22:36 EST 2004

    We make a number of prototypes at our centre. Unfortunately, our
student programmers won't touch Rev since it's not dot.syntax. As a
consequence, I have to wait longer for some things or do them myself.
While the students have seen Rev can do, they are wired to a different
drummer.
    Having seen this, though, and thinking for awhile that an
alternative dot.syntax approach made sense, I find myself in agreement
with Kevin's recent post about the need to have xTalk (transcript)  be
the scripting language for Rev.
    I think Rev's power is in letting people who aren't necessarily
engineering types do things that are labor-instensive or difficult to
do in other environments for anybody. Focusing on building support for
other language approaches might weaken the revolution (sorry, couldn't
resist) right now.
    I'd much rather see Rev engineering time go toward fully exploiting
and integrating Quicktime,(Trevor DeVore's external has been great--
many thanks for doing this!). Fully manipulating wired sprites from
within Rev and not having to rely on LiveStage could give Rev a very
powerful edge. If my understanding is correct, Apple intended HyperCard
3.0 to make it easy to do lots of interactive quicktime management,
including sprite manipulation.

-Charles
_______
Charles Silverman