Transcript and/or ECMA - guess who started it?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Feb 18 13:11:29 EST 2004

On 2/18/04 11:51 AM, jbv wrote:

> This is probably a dumb question, but what kind of new world would
> open the possibility to script a stack in javascript (for instance) ?

I was thinking of the way HyperCard handled this. There was a popdown
button at the top of the script editor that allowed the author to set
the scripting language. HyperCard would accept and use any OSA language
available in the OS. All you had to do was set the scripting language
to, for example, "applescript", and when you closed the script editor
the entire script was compiled using the applescript compiler. You
didn't have to "do" the script as applescript; it just ran natively that
way. There was no speed hit when the script ran, because the engine
didn't have to open and run the compiler the way it does when you "do as
applescript".

If this technique could be used cross-platform for any available
compiler, then those who want to write in javascript could do so and
their scripts would run natively in that language. Ditto for any other
available language.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com