Transcript and/or ECMA

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Wed Feb 18 10:09:32 EST 2004

Someone asked me privately if my original response to this thread was
in opposition to the inclusion of ECMA compliance in Transcript.

For the record, my answer is "No, I posted in opposition to using
JavaScript syntax to accomplish this."

Every development platform I have learned was designed around a
unifying syntax.  The one exception was the Bourne (sp?) shell to
Berkeley Unix/C.  It is a prime example of a collection of commands
without unifying syntax: the same qualifier had different meaning
when appended to different commands, and different commands used
different qualifiers for the same purpose.  No wonder my colleagues
(Berkeley CS grads) referred to it as "guru friendly" at best and
"user hostile" at worst.

IMFO, dumping bits of JavaScript, or any other non-xTalks syntax into
Transcript rather than extending the natural xTalk dialect can only
hurt Revolution in the long run.
--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company