Transcript and/or ECMA - guess who started it?

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Tue Feb 17 17:42:17 EST 2004

> Put into works fine. And if you want to have a shorter
> operator for this, use :=, like Pascal. I mean, because of
> using '=' for 'becomes', they had to use '==' (huu, very
> ugly) for a comparison. xTalks handle this nicely ('=' for a
> comparison), so don't clutter the language up with 'is' what
> should be 'becomes'.

Actually, Sjoerd, it is probably possible for the parser to understand
the context so that a different operator may not be needed at all.

For example,

on mouseUp
  x=3               <== assignment
  if x=3 then beep  <== equality
end mouseUp

So it might read words before or after it to determine if it is an
assignment or equality.

Of course someone with knowledge of the parser would have to answer this
one...

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com