Style: Select Grouped Controls

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Tue Feb 17 15:48:00 EST 2004

On Monday, February 16, 2004, at 12:30 PM, Dar Scott wrote:

> I am more than just curious; this might affect how I deliver custom
> controls.  It is certainly not my intent to start any religious wars.
> We seem to have different ways of getting things done; I'd like to
> learn from that of others.
>
> I wonder how folks use "Select Grouped Controls".

I think we are seeing a wide range of usage.

For me, I usually think of a group as an atomic single special control
or sometimes as a background (whether set so or not).  Usually, it is
the first.  I think that is why I leave select grouped controls off.
To me, the group has become a single control.  Once I make a group I
don't want to think about the innards.  This is part of my approach to
keeping things simple.

I'd like to understand the motivation for leaving it on.  Are groups
for you essentially for sharing controls among cards in multiple
placement?  Are groups a way to insert scripts into the message path.
That is, why use groups?

Dar Scott