control scructure repeat and next line

Sarah Reichelt sarahr at genesearch.com.au
Tue Feb 17 01:09:28 EST 2004

> 1) the repeat structure  I want to do a repeat till the end of a list
> or end of file ? I did relies the repeat for each , I don't understand
> the logic behind it. how to use it

repeat for each line L in myList
   -- first time through, L contains line 1
   doStuff L   -- your script for processing the line
   -- next time through the loop, L contains line 2 and so on
end repeat

> 2) which command tells to move to the next line (and then to  "put the
> selectedText into myVar"), by words I "put word myWord in a repeat so
> it just keeps on moving. ?
"end repeat" tells it to start the loop again and with "repeat for
each", it automatically goes on to the next line. By way of example,
here is an identical loop in a format that might seem more familiar:

repeat with x = 1 to the number of lines in myList
   put line x of myList into L
   doStuff L
end repeat

However, "repeat for each" is MUCH faster and once you get used to the
construct, very easy to write.

> sorry for this silly question
> and by the way a question , why selectedText , selectedLine, don't
> return the same data type . The selectedLine returns the line # and
> the selectedText returns the text itself  , shouldn't  the seletedLine
> return the string of the line as well ? isn't an inconsistency ?
They do different things. The names of the properties may seem
inconsistent to you, but all the chunking expressions get different
segments of the data and there doesn't seem to be any reason why they
should overlap. If you have a more precise need, then write your own
function that combines some of the chunking expressions to give you
exactly the information you want.

Cheers,
Sarah
sarahr at genesearch.com.au