Sticky palettes

Ken Norris pixelbird at interisland.net
Sat Feb 14 05:03:23 EST 2004

Hi Scott,

> Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 21:05:39 -0800
> From: Scott Rossi <scott at tactilemedia.com>
> Subject: Re: Sticky palettes

>> Let me change the question: Can I poll a window's location as I drag it by
>> its titlebar?
>
> You can if you create you own titlebar.
----------
Well, you're right, and I thought about the titlebar mockup, but I don't
want to confuse the users. I'd need to go for a completely independant set
of integrated thematic graphics. No time for that anymore.
----------
> See the stack referenced earlier
> today for an example of two docked windows.  In your message box:
>
> go url "http://www.tactilemedia.com/download/slider.rev"
>
> If you allow a fair amount of overlap between the windows, say maybe 10
> pixels or so, the results will probably be acceptable.
----------
Looks like that's about right. The "drawer" thing is pretty neat too, but
probably the wrong metaphor for my purposes. I want to do the UI for
convenience, but yet not show them unfamiliar stuff.

The grab routine is clean, seems faster than the example I got from Thomas.
----------
> As I mentioned, the hidePalettes property is broken, so a standard palette
> window will disappear when the stack is suspended.  But as Thomas McGrath
> suggested, if you can live with your window floating above all other
> applications, you can set the systemWindow property to prevent the palette
> from disappearing.
No, that part is good. I want the palette on top while the project is open
anyway.

Thanks much. Cool stuff...:-)

Ken N.