Function output-a bug or a feature?

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Fri Feb 13 11:05:04 EST 2004

I sent this a few days ago but I never saw it hit the list. Apologies
if some of you got it twice.
-DNA

Here's the recipe:

Create a new mainstack.
Create a field on the card.
Open the stack script and write a simple function handler. I used this
one:

	function cube theNumber
	   return theNumber^3
	end cube

Open the message box and call the new function:
	put cube(3) -- works perfectly, the result is displayed in the message
box.

However, try putting the output of the function into the field:
	put cube(3) into fld 1 -- the output goes into the message box, not
the field.

If you try this with a standard Transcript function:
	put sqrt(4) into fld 1 -- works as expected, with output to the field.

Has this always (not) worked like this? Have I just missed it all these
years? I could swear I've done this successfully before.

Devin Asay
Brigham Young University