RR as a browser plugin?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Feb 12 03:18:53 EST 2004

Alex Rice wrote:

> On Feb 12, 2004, at 12:27 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>
>> Because unless it's bundled it will still need to be downloaded, and
>> if one needs to download and install something it could just as well
>> provide multiple window, menus, and other options not possible in a
>> browser.
>>
>> Look at the number of plugins in '98, and how few are left today.
>> Bundling is the advantage of plugins.  Without bundling, an engine's
>> an engine....
>
> It's not such a black and white issue.

Nor is it theoretical.  SuperCard had a plugin.  Aside from some novelty use
it was never popular even at sites with a heavy SC install.  Like most
companies that have ever made a plugin, they don't bother anymore.

> You are talking about average-joe-consumer out there with Windows 98,
> and generalizing that to say there is no advantage to browser plugins,
> period. I disagree.

You have the sum of your experience which leads to your opinions,  I have
mine.  Disagreement from time to time is a healthy indicator of active
minds.

> Look at IT departments that ghost their systems for rollouts. No
> downloading of plugins required. In fact downloading may not be
> allowed. In fact- public www access may not even be allowed!
> Corporations are strange places.

Indeed, especially those whose IT department can ghost a browser
installation yet not be able to include a helper app with it. ;)

I never said a plugin was completely useless.  I only said that it offers no
significant advantage over what can be done right now.  Even if a plugin
could somehow do everything a helper app can, the helper app still has one
advantage to solving real-world problems today:  it exists.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation