Styled text challenge...

Brian Yennie briany at qldlearning.com
Thu Feb 12 03:01:13 EST 2004

Xavier,

I really don't want to get into a love/hate war over Rev, but you're
baiting pretty badly with your last couple of posts.

Calling htmlText and rtfText "useless" and "unsupported", running off
bugs and boldly stating that you don't have time to put them in
Bugzilla... these sorts of things don't tend to get you heard by the
people at Rev that could actually help you.

If your project isn't worth making Bugzilla reports for (and I have no
idea how it would 3 hours to report your list), then why would it be
worth it to Rev to spend their time digging them out of this list,
tracking them down, and fixing them to support you?

You first started off by posting a htmlText/ rtfText snippet which was
simply incorrect (which is fine, but when you are flaming Rev over
bugs...):

set the RTFText of fld "text" to the HTMLText of fld "html"

Which wasn't working, because you were setting the RTFText property to
HTML source. What you probably wanted was:

set the RTFText of fld "text" to the RTFText of fld "html"

Now for your bugs...

On Thursday, February 12, 2004, at 01:32 AM, MisterX wrote:

> - debugging - the script editor adds a few dozen lines to the end of my
> script - you need to add a debug breakpoint, go in debug mode, abort,
> edit a
> change with a non-error that is reported as an error and voila...

Blank lines? If so, are they actually in the script property of your
object, or are they just stuck in the script editor?
Does it cause any harm?

What do you mean by a "non-error that is reported as an error"?

> - debug breakpoint bar doesn't scroll as the script field - you end up
> debugging not where you clicked! (This is the lack of synch scrolling
> via
> mouse scroll in the breakpoint field which I've mentioned on previous
> occasions.)

So the bug is that breakpoints don't scroll with the mouse under
certain mouse conditions?
I couldn't reproduce this, do you need a mouse scroll wheel or
something special? Where do I have to click / drag?

> - Zooming a window with the zoom box doesn't respect the geometry
> manager
> ($)@%(*@%)(@%*@)(*I have to resize all the fields, groups AGAIN - What
> the
> F***?) - This made my day already - one more day to release a stupid
> Farging
> stack!!!

 From what I can see here, geometry just doesn't work with groups. Turn
off the group geometry and work with the inner objects individually,
and the group resizes nicely with them to fit.

> - Zooming a window with the zoom button doesn't zoom it all the way to
> the
> window rect (props max height and width = 2^16...)

I'm not sure of the HIG here, but it looks to me like it zooms back and
forth between the last two sizes that the stack has been set to....?

> - you can't resize a zoomed stack thereafter without using the zoom
> box --
> note the window is NOT full-screen-size (props)

I don't see this. I can still drag out a new size or use the zoom box.

> - Geometry manager doesn't seem to respect the scaling offsets - I
> assume it
> uses a percentage and not the border offsets - unreliable if you
> offset just
> one or two pixels off another object.

It's working fine for me with several objects 1 or 2 pixels apart,
stretching to 1000 pixels and back to 200 or so.
Can you give a reproducible example? What geometry settings did you
give to your objects?

> - Group a number of objects. Show a field that's supposed to be above
> them,
> select the field, try to send it above the group with the appropriate
> button
> in the "Size and position" props and it doesn't work. You have to type
> high number in the position to make it work

Confirmed. I tested and this only happens if the top-most object is in
a group. If you watch carefully, it initially sets the layer to the
appropriate value, and then flashes back to a smaller number. So
whatever is limiting the maximum value somewhere in that script seems
to have a bug. It does work to hit the "Move forward" button a few
times, although I admit that would be tiresome with a lot of controls.
For now a workaround would be to keep a non-grouped control on top, or
type as you have been.

> - Making an object the same size as another via the props "Align
> objects"
> and assuming that object as a geometry scale link to the window will
> make
> the geometry of that object no work! Objects are in a group... You
> have to
> resize the object manually for the geo mgr to work ok. The more damned
> you
> are if you groupped them...

Confirmed. It looks to me like Rev normally catches the object move and
updates the geometry. When the align objects button is used, it's not
updating the geometry. Try this: use the align button, and then
manually nudge the moved object(s) one over and one back. Now things
work.

Bet they could fix it in two minutes- it just needs to fire off
whatever message the geometry normally catches when you move an object.
I'd report it.

You could probably fire a moveControl message to Rev and it would work
properly.

> - a field in a grp, if you resize the object gets clipped, but if you
> move
> it it doesn't - just more work either way...

I see this. One workaround is to ungroup and re-group. Not great, I
admit.

> - Close a stack with a script window left open - you get a dialog with
> "close" or "Close and copy" the script window. Nothing is in the
> clipboard
> if you choose close and copy

OK.

> This the most stupid stack and the one that's given me the most
> trouble DUE
> TO BUGS or non working features.

Then I presume the stack isn't that important too you. This isn't very
compelling if I were working at Rev, to fix things that have only
affected "the most stupid stack". But I don't think you really mean
that.

> No, I wont spend 3 hours entering this in bugzilla who will surely not
> record my bugs again.

Then I hope you won't complain when RunRev doesn't fix them.

> I never had this many bugs in MC or HC or any other IDE in 20 years
> development experience...

Then you're either lucky or haven't used many IDEs with comparable
number of features. But it doesn't matter. If all of the other IDEs are
much better, feel free... you can easily still use the MetaCard IDE but
you won't have to worry about having any geometry manager at all, or
align objects.

> I dont think it's just me...

That sees some bugs? No, not just you. But your approach leaves me
little surprise that your previous reports weren't top priorities.

- Brian