RR as a browser plugin?

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Thu Feb 12 02:58:59 EST 2004

On Feb 11, 2004, at 5:04 PM, Dar Scott wrote:

> What does it take to turn an app into a helper app?  I have never made
> a browser plugin.

Helper apps are different from browser plugins.

A Helper App is just a browser preference saying "when downloading this
file type or MIME type, launch it with this app on my system."

A Plugin is a shared-library (or something) that the web browser loads,
put it in a sandbox, and gives it access to graphics and gui events in
it's area of the window. Java, Flash, and Quicktime are the browser
plugins that Safari comes preinstalled with.

Unfortunately each browser has it's a different plugin API so it would
be lots of work to make one that runs most browsers (IE, Netscape,
Safari, etc).

--
Alex Rice | Mindlube Software | http://mindlube.com