RR as a browser plugin?

Christopher Mitchell chrism at lumin.us
Wed Feb 11 21:39:39 EST 2004

perhaps he forgot to specify that they would be singing the songs
outside your window...

This is an interesting idea, though, and something I think would be
helpful.  As was mentioned, however, it is unfortunately a non-trivial
request for some people to have to install any 3rd party helper (it is
only non-trivial when the 3rd party engines are installed without them
knowing about it) because then they might have some thoughts about
whether it is ""secure.""  in this case, then, following the threads
about product placement, it might be a good thing that there is a
Mac-centric flavor to the perception.  Not many people make too many
jokes about Apple or Apple products as being "laughably insecure,"
unlike some competitors.

Automating a single install of the runtime (and keeping it current)
would be really interesting, and if implemented as described, could be
used for other purposes.  If there was one unified runtime
download/install/setup-as-helper, then standalone apps could be
generated in a mode more reminiscent of a stack - just a pointer
executable that verifies the engine is already there, and if not
downloads and/or updates it.  Why have a separate engine in each
standalone app if it could be had and used in one location,
instantiated for each instance of Revolution app that is run at any
given time.

just thinking outloud.

Yours,
Chris