Is Transcript's English orientation a plus or minus? (rather long)

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Wed Feb 11 13:57:42 EST 2004

>- do you really think that the current Rev / MC IDEs allow us to
>maintain &
>debug scripts with hundreds or thousands of lines ? Of course not... But
>
>CodeWarrior (for instance) does...
>
>So in conclusion, I'm tempted to say that the language itself doesn't
>look
>amateurish at all (and DOESN'T need to include any C-like syntax).
>But OTOH the IDE (especially the scripting & debugging environments)
>REALLY look amateurish... And what you gain in productivity because of
>the syntax, gets lost at the same time by the poor scripting tools...

Salut, JB,

And my I say that I agree wholehearted with every word you
wrote...until you ended with the statements I included above:

1.  The stack script of Serendipity Library has 4,566 lines as of the
latest update.

2.  I just pulled my CodeWarrior v6 Gold edition off a back shelf.  I
see there is a debugger somewhere on the CD, & I note the need to
install "debugger nubs" before debugging.  Debug mode (albeit still
buggy) in Revolution is a pulldown menu away.  Does Code Warrior's
debug your C source or your compiled C?  If the later, how can you
make a favorable case for that against Revolution, where I can
immediately modify the errant code and continue runtime testing
without rebuilding and/or relinking?  What does CW's debugger do
better than Revolution's in combination with the variable watcher &
and message watcher.  I compare Revolution's debugger favorably with
Data General's PL/1 online source debugger I used for several years.
--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company