Is Transcript's English orientation a plus or minus?

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Wed Feb 11 13:39:30 EST 2004

On Feb 10, 2004, at 5:29 PM, Frank Leahy wrote:

> On Wednesday, February 11, 2004, at 01:14  AM,
> use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com wrote:
>>
>>> Supporting JavaScript is an interesting idea.  I probably wouldn't
>>> used it, but I wonder if it would bring others to Revolution.
>>>

>> And the new Director supports JavaScript alongside Lingo syntax. My
>> bet: it'll just confuse everyone. (And I love Lingo, BTW)
>>
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> Dan Shafer, Revolutionary
>>

> Hah!  Lingo supports = (equal sign) as an assignment operator (plus
> lots of overloading +=, -=, etc.), so I guess "x = 1" can't be all
> that bad :-)

Frank...never said x=1 was bad, just that it was not as good as "put 1
into x" in terms of my mind and readability!

hah! ;-)

> My bet is that it will lower the barrier against using it for those
> who know Javascript already -- "Hmmm, Director has Javascript syntax?
> Maybe it won't take as long to get up to speed as I previously thought
> it would."

Well, sure it'll lower the barrier for those who already know JS. I
just don't think that's such a big audience. JS app developers as a set
probably don't have much Venn Diagram overlap with multimedia
developers.