Answer File with Filter

Stewart Lynch slynch at richmond.sd38.bc.ca
Wed Feb 11 02:11:24 EST 2004

I am writing a cross platform application in Revolution that will be
distributed as a runtime version.  The data files are stacks and they all
end in .mmb and have a creator code of MMB1 and a filetype of MMB_

Everything works fine if I create the data files on a Mac and move them
over to the PC as I use the following for the MacOS
answer file "Select a database file:" with filter "Select a MiniMarkBook
File:" & return & "MiniMarkBook files,*.mmb"

and

answer file "Select a MiniMarkBook file:" with filter "*.mmb"

if the application is run on a PC.

However, if the file is created on the PC and moved to the MacOS, the
files do not get recognized since the PC does not create the Creator/File
Type resource.

>From reading the documentation, I thought that I could use the "with
filter" designation on the Mac and just ignore the Creator/File Type.
However this does not appear to be the case.

Under MacOS X (I have not tried under classic mode) the 'with filter'
parameter does not work.  Non of the .mmb files are recognized.

Am I doing something wrong?

Is there a solution?

:  o/  : Stewart Lynch
: <|   : Director of Instruction, Technology and Information Services
: / >  : Richmond School District
:......:   Richmond, BC Canada
Internet: slynch at richmond.sd38.bc.ca
https://public.sd38.bc.ca/~slynch