Is Transcript's English orientation a plus or minus?

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Tue Feb 10 22:23:42 EST 2004

On Tuesday, February 10, 2004, at 07:05 PM, Scott Rossi wrote:

> While I can't say I've pushed the engine as hard as the combined
> talent of
> this list, in my experience the engine's performance has been
> exceptional.

I find this interesting.  And frustrating.

When the general assumption among the community is that the engine is
perfect, then bug reports are considered spurious.

When I first started using Revolution two years ago, I assumed bugs
would be fixed quickly.  This was a stupid and costly error on my part.
  The roadblock I hit was the logic that Metacard is perfect, therefore
the bug reports are wrong.  One crucial bug took over 7 months to fix.
There were a handful of sockets bugs and yet folks were blindly using
Revolution for all kinds of Internet apps. (The open process bugs are a
mess and I don't even bother to report those any more.)  Did folks see
my bugs and wonder whether that would affect their internet apps?  I
didn't see it.  I suggested to one person his problems might be related
to mine and his went away after mine were fixed and he shrugged it off.
  Another complained that libURL was flakey.  Well, duh!

The best way to make the engine rock-solid is to knock over the idol.

Dar Scott