Is Transcript's English orientation a plus or minus?

Judy Perry jperryl at ecs.fullerton.edu
Tue Feb 10 17:19:10 EST 2004

Me too!

I've never really understood why we start by teaching the really confusing
stuff and then offer the higher-level languages LAST (AND wonder why we
have horrendous attrition rates...).

It seems much more intuitive to get people to learn the general things in
a visual environment with natural-language like syntax and then transfer
that understanding to the more 'complicated' languages.

I think Decker even published an article in one of the ACM journals about
using HC back in the day for a CS1 course.

Which gets me back to wondering about the demise of the Analytical Engine
he did using HC and, later (ugh!) ToolBook?

Judy