Is Transcript's English orientation a plus or minus?

Frank Leahy frank at backtalk.com
Tue Feb 10 12:20:22 EST 2004

>> Not supporting these standard statements make the language look a
>> bit "beginner-ish"
>
> Frank, et al:
>
> Is there something inherently inferior about a programming
> environment that can be used productively by someone who doesn't have
> a degree in computer science?
>
> Do professional developers feel threatened by the concept of business
> people writing custom software to drive their business without
> employing a programmer to assist or do the job for them?

Rob,

I was writing system software at Apple -- every time you use pop up,
color, or hierarchical menu on the Mac you can thank me -- when
HyperCard was developed, and I knew both Bill Atkinson (invented
HyperCard) and Dan Winkler (invented HyperTalk).

I wrote one of the first large-scale end-user applications in HyperCard
-- see http://www.artstacks.com/ -- which is still used by over 300
high-end art galleries around the world.

There is nothing inferior about a programming language or a development
environment that makes it easier for non-computer scientists to program.

I have no problem with people using RR for any project they want to
create.  The more the merrier.

I love that xTalk makes RR accessible to the masses.

BUT...I wish xTalk had some ADDITIONAL constructs that made it more
accessible to computer scientists and professional programmers.  Both
because without them xTalk look amateurish, and therefore less likely
to be used by professionals, and because it would make it significantly
easier to port code from other languages to xTalk.

It's that simple.  This isn't an either or proposition.  Adding support
for "x = 1" would have no impact on the RR IDE. It would have no impact
on your ability to use "put 1 into x" all you want.  It would have no
impact on you, or anyone else using RR today.  But it would make my
life easier.  And, I believe, it would make RR an easier sell into
organizations staffed by professional programmers and
computer-scientists.

Thanks for listening.

-- Frank