Array question again.

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 10 11:25:23 EST 2004

--- Kevin <nnoydb at excite.com> wrote:

> Can anyone point me to a document discussing the
> underpinnings of the Transcript interpreter?  Maybe
> it is just me but I am unable to locate this
> information in the help included with the product.
> In fact many advanced topics are missing.
>
> Topics I am looking for:
>
> Memory Management
>     Force garbage collection
>     Marking for collection
>     Collection algorithms
>
> What threading type is used
>     token
>     indirect
>     direct
>
> API's related to multithreading and/or
> multiprocessing
>     mutex
>     semaphores
>     etc.
>
> Kevin

Kevin,

With Revolution you don't have to worry about garbage
collection ; temporary variables are released at the
end of the handler in which you use them,
script-locals and global variables stay until you
'delete' them or quit.

Revolution doesn't have a multi-threading architecture
in the traditional sense : you can 'send <message> to
<object> in <time>' and those messages are then
scheduled into a queue and handled at idle time as
soon as possible after their trigger time.

Some commands (the socket commands in particular) can
be used with a 'callback' parameter, allowing your
application to handle other events while you're
waiting for the command to complete ; once completed,
the engine will call your callback handler so you can
act consequently.

For more information regarding 'send', I recommend Dar
Scott's excellent primer on message mechanics, which
you can find at the following location :
<http://www.swcp.com/dsc/revstacks.html>

Hope this helped,

Jan Schenkel.

=====