mission critical apps

David Vaughan dvk at dvkconsult.com.au
Mon Feb 9 18:36:50 EST 2004

On  and before 10/02/2004, at 7:19, several people wrote many things on
this topic:

Fundamentally, Alex is right but it does not matter a lot. So is Rob
but in a different sphere. Meanwhile, I think Frank is wrong.

Without going back to the original, I recall Alex's basic points as
being:
- Rev lacks the inherent or external tools to support large team
development.
- A Smalltalk-like message passing structure makes assurance of formal
correctness difficult.

I am not certain that the second point (as I have interpreted him) is
true in the sense that it can not be dealt with in tool design or code
management but the first alone is sufficient to wipe Rev out of large
scale application development anyway. So, does this matter?

While some of the commentary drifted between xTalk as a viable language
and the actual topic of message model and team development, the nub
appears to be: in what market is Rev playing, and is the tool you are
using viable? In fact, I think this thread originally grew from Alex or
someone's difficulty in getting Rev accepted as a development tool by a
client.

There was an article a year or so ago (there will be a ref in the
archives somewhere) on xTalks. Essentially, it placed them as very high
level RAD tools ideally adapted to glue functions. Recall that Alex
never gainsaid Rev's productivity advantages, only its fitness for
large scale development. I think his reference to "mission critical" is
a little off topic in that mission critical is quite often a discovery
after the software has been in use for a while. I would simply stick
with a measure of size, which of course is highly correlated with
mission-critical.

Rob's defence of Rev's productivity and reliability is fair but again
is off the core point. Rev is perfectly suited to those millions of
small-scale niche (in the best sense) applications for business, on
which the computing world actually thrives. It is also excellently
suited to systems integration tasks of glueing unlike apps together, or
post-processing standardised output to give interactive and enhanced
access or multimedia presentation. In either of those roles, it can and
will be used in "the enterprise" and is a powerful platform for a small
firm marketing to those enterprises. It is just that it will not be
used to re-write SAP or Sabre or ComputerShare or the like. It may help
glue, say, the accounting system with a proprietary case management
system and provide joint reporting from them or to enable common web
access to a (Rev) engine reprocessing corporate data. These are things
MIS generally does not want to do and present golden opportunities for
small integration firms.

Then, there are endless apps already made by people on this list. Core
tools like Rob's SDB, Sarah's POP library and Shao Sean's LibSMTP. Apps
like Oenolog and Tom's instructive CD or Alex' ARC (excuse me for not
going on). They are providing reliable and effective service because
they are based on a solid platform.

Hence, I think Alex's positioning of Rev is fair but in my view not in
any respect damaging. Let me put this another way. You could be a
programmer in a huge enterprise or in a small business, possibly your
own. Where have you chosen to work? Then choose the right tool for what
you are doing and don't fret over what you are not doing.

While I'm here, I may as well add my free trade comment on Frank's
request for C-like syntax:
- It will remove zero bugs from Rev
- It is more likely to add programmer coding and reading bugs than to
reduce them
- It will make some people more comfortable with the language and
others less.
- Transcript is a perfectly good (in the vernacular sense) formal
language as it stands.

Those interested in it can always write the requisite pre-processor
themselves and insert it into the editor, then release and maintain it
for a price. The market will answer for their opinion.

regards
David