mission critical apps; was Re: cross platform ide

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Mon Feb 9 16:58:38 EST 2004

On Feb 9, 2004, at 2:26 PM, Chipp Walters wrote:

> Talking with my C programmer partner Chris, he mentioned that the
> same messaging path problems are found in Delphi and VB as well
> with variants of C including C#. So, how does MS and Borland sell
> their products into mission critical enterprise environments?

On this point my response was kind of flippant. More serious:

With C and C#, the compiler goes to great effort to flag problems
before run-time, and static typing is also available.

Delphi I have no idea.

VB I don't know (However, with VBA I know there are static object
types. I don't remember what other steps the compiler takes when you
save or compile a script)

I would not lump xtalks and C, C#, VB, Delphi all into one category. I
still believe there are a lot of challenge that are unique to xtalks
and runrev.

--
Alex Rice | Mindlube Software | http://mindlube.com