mission critical apps; was Re: cross platform ide

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Mon Feb 9 12:19:30 EST 2004

>With xtalk you discover bugs at runtime. period.

That is certainly not true of script syntax errors... and when you do
encounter them you can open the script editor, correct the problem,
and go right on with your runtime testing [unless applying the script
changes the value of declared local variables].

>By it's very nature, runrev presents some unique challenges for
>producing reliable, quality code.

That has just not been my general experience, Alex.  And
specifically, from a post to the rev_ipc group:

Durability 15 Jan 04:>>

As I write this, my OS X test SDB client has completed 24 hours of
auto testing without interruption since I restarted it after turning
off sleep mode on the iMac.  It has issued about 24,000 commands to
the server since restarting.

My OS 9 test SDB client has been running for more than 48 hours, and
has issued over 53,000 commands to the same server since restarting.

The server has been running for over 72 hours while I debugged the
auto test logic and restarted both clients...the iMac because of
sleep mode and the PB after my wife closed the over in the middle of
the night of my first 24 hour test.
<<

To all of those who find basic X-Talk syntax and concepts counterintuitive:

1.  Why are you searching for a new platform?

2.  What draws you to Revolution?

3.  Why would you expect to leave behind the part of a programming
environment you didn't like and have what you did like shoe-horned
into a different environment?

4.  How many programming environment transitions have you been
through previously?  When all I knew was FORTRAN AND I knew I could
program anything my employer wanted in FORTRAN, I saw no need for any
other language.  With each subsequent change in programming
environment I learned the relative strengths and weaknesses of each.

But I suggest that some of the issues being raised here cut to the
very core foundation of X-Talks, and if you can't accept things the
way they are, you will be continually frustrated with your experience
with Revolution.
--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company