Would you have written it in time? was Re: mission critical apps

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Mon Feb 9 11:48:01 EST 2004

>I asked: "How are you going to sell xtalks in a corporate
>environment where reliability and correctness is _more important
>than programmer productivity_ ?"

Alex,

You're probably not; so those corporate environments, which never
have & never will embrace cutting-edge technology until it is passe
and replaced by new technology, will not be good target market places
for Revolution for at least a decade..

How do you respond when a business owner or corporate executive tells
you proudly about the great deal he/she got from IBM on a System 36
four years after it was discontinued in favor of the AS/400?  As I
said in a previous post, in my experience these types make
unsatisfactory (and often unsatisfied) clients.

Anyone with a HyperCard legacy knows the story of the aviation
company (North American?) with an HC application providing online
schematics of all jet airliner parts to both the workers assembling
the planes & the mechanics maintaining them.  At the time of the IHUG
effort to keep Apple from pulling the plug on HyperCard, I contacted
someone involved in the project and asked if the corporate CEO
wouldn't like to contact Steve Jobs on HyperCard's behalf.  His
response was:

"Top management hates HyperCard, because our application is the
reason they cannot phase out all Apple computers.  Three times they
have attempted to rewrite our system in Windows, and three times they
have given up after pouring lots of money into the project without
ever getting close to duplicating the HyperCard application's
functionality."  [Amazing for a "beginner-ish" language, eh Frank.
:{`)  ]

You are quite welcome to deal with corporate idiots such as these,
Alex, but let's not drag Transcript down to curry favor with
no-nothings.

And, by the way, reliability is not an issue from my perspective.
How long has the underlying MetaCard engine been on the market?
--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company