mission critical apps; was Re: cross platform ide

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Mon Feb 9 11:48:07 EST 2004

On Feb 9, 2004, at 12:46 AM, Chipp Walters wrote:

> 1) Your inability to answer a question about messaging does not make RR
> unfit for work in the Enterprise.

I didn't mean to imply that. I said: "I mean where $, property, or
safety is actually at stake. ... It's a legitimate question, issue, and
(perhaps) there are places where xtalks are not a good solution. A very
few places."

I think there are lots of enterprise types of apps that are not mission
critical and I wouldn't hesitate to use runrev for those.

> Not that I'm saying you aren't smart about
> these things, I know just the opposite is true, just looking at some
> of the
> projects you've created in Rev points out your obvious skills:-)

Thank you.

> But, salesmen come in all forms. I would suggest a different tact: Use
> RR to
> prototype the mission critical tool.

Don't appeal to programmer productivity. I already know runrev is the
most productive tool for me. That's not the issue. I asked: "How are
you going to sell xtalks in a corporate environment where reliability
and correctness is _more important than programmer productivity_ ?"

> 2) There are many factors which go into tool selection. Unfortunately
> for
> RR, there are many which would seem to disqualify it before even
> starting.

Good points

> All of that being said, I am currently working on 3 Enterprise class RR
> applications. I did them all by prototyping and convincing the
> management
> they can save LOTS of $$$ by letting us develop in RR vs VB or C. So
> far,
> it's worked.

Great! Are they mission critical? (my definition = $, property or
safety is at stake)

>  So, IMO, thinking of it a multimedia/game tool is most limiting.

Well yeah! Most of what I've used Rev for is business applications (the
estimation model for ARC). But it's not mission critical. It's a fancy
"calculator" that can be restarted or reworked if it doesn't work
correctly.

--
Alex Rice | Mindlube Software | http://mindlube.com