Is Transcript's English orientation a plus or minus?

jbv jbv.silences at Club-Internet.fr
Mon Feb 9 07:25:01 EST 2004

Doug Lerner a *crit :

> On 2/9/04 4:31 PM, "Thomas McGrath III" <3mcgrath at adelphia.net> wrote:
>
> > With REV I 'think' about what I want in english
> > like terms and then start typing.
>
> I think that's what started the thread. Not all developers around the world
> think in English-like terms.  :)

AFAIR some studies in experimental psychology & ergonomics in the
early 80's showed that beginners & experimented programmers think
and mostly memorize algorithms in very different ways :
- beginners tend to memorize an algo in a specific prog. language
- experienced programmers memorize algos outside any prog. language

I don't know if this remark is on or off topic, although according to these
studies, one might assume that experienced programmers from different
countries and with different native languages (USA, french, japanese...)
don't bother much about the language used to code, but focus on the
algorithm itself and perhaps think about (analyze & solve) a problem in
a similar way...

JB