REV and multimedia

opus.species at wanadoo.fr opus.species at wanadoo.fr
Mon Feb 9 05:34:59 EST 2004

> From: Dan Shafer <revdan at danshafer.com>

> "It is a hazardeous way to compare Flash and Revolution ; but it is
> easy to explain "Revolution is superior to Flash beacuse Revolution can
> embedd Flash"."
> Reminds me of the old religious language wars between Prolog and LISP.
> The LISPers always thought they could win the battle by saying, smugly,
> "You could write Prolog in LISP but you could never write LISP in
> Prolog." I always wanted to shout, "But I don't *want* to write a
> freaking computer language!" To me, a linkage between Transcript and
> JavaScript that would allow me to wrapper calls to media objects in my
> favorite language (Transcript) would be more beneficial than the
> ability to embed Flash stuff in Rev.

Anyway i am glad that Rev can embedd vector graphic animation through
altBrowser.dll, even if a native support could be better (with params
passed from Flash to Rev as they arre passed from Flash to JavaScript).

> "Revolution appears today as the tool for the Macintosh community."
>
> I thought Kevin dealt well with that one the other day. If anyone has a
> perception that Rev is a Mac tool, there's not much that can be done to
> help them. The MacWorld (UK?) reviewer who said that obviously had
> spent little or no time writing the review. Nothing at RunRev's Web
> site, in their marketing or, anywhere else that I've seen conveys that
> message.

As far as multimedia is concerned, Revolution as a native support for
Quicktime, clearly an Apple technology. Windows and Linux users are not so
happy...

Claude