Is Transcript's English orientation a plus or minus? (was Andy's comments and positioning...)

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Sun Feb 8 18:02:22 EST 2004

On Sunday, February 8, 2004, at 04:11 AM, opus.species at wanadoo.fr wrote:

> - for non-english-speaking students, today, the "javascript" syntax =
> the "flash" syntax = the "." syntax = the "ECMA" syntax = "the
> standard syntax for programming" = is not more difficult than the
> xtalk syntax.
> It is the same to teach and to learn "the property of myObjetc" than
> "myObject.property". The argument xTalk is easy was true 10 years ago,
> no more today.
> I am sure of that even for 12-15 years french speaking kids ; i do not
> know for english-speaking kids.

In responding to Freak L.'s suggestion, I had ignored this.

If I read Claude's comments right, the English-like syntax adds
nothing.  This stops short of saying it gets in the way.

Though I like the syntax for my own use and for teaching "junior
associates" (it does help), I think the English orientation might be
somewhat of a weakness in an global sense.  I don't really know and I
don't think I'm much of a judge.

Dar Scott