Puzzled about stack size

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 8 06:58:39 EST 2004

--- Jim Hurley <jhurley at infostations.com> wrote:

> Rob,
>
> Following your suggestion. I deleted one field, a
> table field that
> showed empty. The file size dropped from 6 megs to
> 144 K. (By the
> way, is there a way to get the file size from within
> RR?)
>
> I restored the stack to "saved". In the message box
> I tried:
>
>     put the number of lines in field "theField"
>
> The result was zero.
>
> I looked in the property  inspector for the field.
> The "contents"
> showed empty. I then scrolled down to
> "table." There was a long pause and eventually all
> the data
> reappeared. In the messages box the number of lines
> was now 13,234.
>
> I selected the field and press delete. The field
> showed empty--again.
> I scrolled down to "table" in the property inspector
> again and,
> again, after a long pause, the data was resurrected.
>
> Strange things are happening in table fields. This
> same thing happens
> even for small amounts of data.
>
> Jim

Hi Jim,

The built-in table functionality uses several copies
of the data to accomplish its work :
  cREVTable["currentview"]
  cREVTable["formattedview"]

Unfortunately, these do not automatically get emptied
when you empty the field -- there is currently no way
to trap changes in the built-in properties of
cpntrols, so the RunRev crew couldn't even do it
unless the engine was changed.

And as you have noticed, the table functions will
resurrect the data if you set the text of the field to
empty.
The best way to make sure the content of a table field
is emptied, is by using the undocumented command
'revEmptyTable" :
--
  revEmptyTable "Foobar"
--