MY Great Big CD Project

Thomas McGrath III 3mcgrath at adelphia.net
Sat Feb 7 19:37:34 EST 2004

Well, I finished my instructive CD. I handed it over to the president
and he has hired a Director company to put a 'fancy' front end on it. I
don't really know how to take that.
The CD needed to present over 500 pre made slides in 14 chapters with
over 20 pages and 75 links to different parts of the 500 slides and
make it all make sense. The CD was not allowed to use Quicktime which
made me do a lot of things the hard way. (But now the director guys are
going to use flash and video).(Score one for Director) The CD needed to
provide for a page to page type navigation AND to be able to jump
around to specific points. The CD has 20 voiceovers on the front page
of each chapter.

The presidents reaction was OK but he had some negatives as well. The
director company actually turned down re-doing or re-creating some of
the things I did in the CD due to time and difficulty.(Score one for me
and REV) They said it would be too hard to try and do what I did and
that they would be better served by putting a 'flash and dash' front
end on my rev project.
NOW, if I was allowed to use quicktime I think things would have been
different.
The director company thought the voiceovers were just fine.(Score one
for me and REV)
They thought the navigation was fine. (Score one for me and REV)
The president did not like the navigation. (Take one away for me)

The CD is almost 500 Megabytes and works on 7 OS's. (I don't know how
many it will still work on when they put the Flash in?)

SO, REV did a great Job and most liked it. The director guys knew how
much work was in it and respected it even though they never heard of
REV.

I believe that the lack of flashy tools for text and good text
formating in REV held this CD back from being great. Multimedia was
restricted by the client. But flash support would have overridden the
problem of no quicktime.

I will consider this CD and the use of REV a success but I am hoping
for a few enhancements to make multimedia work better with what people
expect ie Flash and good text formatting.

Tom

Macintosh PowerBook G-4 OSX 10.3.1, OS 9.2.2, 1.25 GHz, 512MB RAM, Rev
2.1.2

Advanced Media Group
Thomas J McGrath III	• 2003 •	3mcgrath at adelphia.net
220 Drake Road, Bethel Park, PA 15102