Puzzled about stack size

Jim Hurley jhurley at infostations.com
Sat Feb 7 15:41:26 EST 2004

>Message: 5
>Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2004 10:12:07 -0700
>From: Rob Cozens <rcozens at pon.net>
>Subject: Re: Puzzled about stack size
>To: How to use Revolution <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
>
>>I have many stacks with more controls, longer scripts, a few
>>graphics, and images. Yet they are a fraction of the size of this
>>one DB stack. What could be eating up  all this space?
>
>Hi Jim,
>
>No answers, but some thoughts:
>
>* Does the db stack contain externals?
>
>* Does it incorporate a large image or clip?
>
>* Does it incorporate a small image that accidentally had its rect reset?
>
>* Have you opened the stack in the Application Browser and checked
>the list of controls on each card...including the size of their
>scripts?
>
>* If you open & close the stack without adding anything to it, does
>stack size remain static or grow?
>
>If none of that helps, is it feasible to open the stack, delete a
>card or group, close the stack, check stack size, and repeat the
>process until you see a dramatic change in stack size?  Then you
>could go back to the card or group you deleted and repeat the process
>deleting one control at a time.  It's tedious, I know, but it should
>isolate the source of the problem.  Perhaps you could write a script
>that would automate the process?
>--
>
>Rob Cozens
>CCW, Serendipity Software Company
>http://www.oenolog.net/who.htm

Rob,

Following your suggestion. I deleted one field, a table field that
showed empty. The file size dropped from 6 megs to 144 K. (By the
way, is there a way to get the file size from within RR?)

I restored the stack to "saved". In the message box I tried:

    put the number of lines in field "theField"

The result was zero.

I looked in the property  inspector for the field. The "contents"
showed empty. I then scrolled down to
"table." There was a long pause and eventually all the data
reappeared. In the messages box the number of lines was now 13,234.

I selected the field and press delete. The field showed empty--again.
I scrolled down to "table" in the property inspector again and,
again, after a long pause, the data was resurrected.

Strange things are happening in table fields. This same thing happens
even for small amounts of data.

Jim