Tagging certain objects with contact, copyright, etc

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Sat Feb 7 14:51:07 EST 2004

On Saturday, February 7, 2004, at 11:31 AM, Rob Cozens wrote:

> At first blush, at least Copyright & Contact seem candidates for
> display in an About menuItem rather than being hidden in a stack
> property.

In an application, there is no reason to not have it both places.

> But that wouldn't explain placing contact info where the users will
> never see it.

Not all stacks are applications.  Many are libraries.  Certainly back
script buttons and custom controls are almost always not applications.

This allows that info to be included in a uniform way.

It also creates a unique name so that short name conflicts can be
resolved by some yet-to-be-determined method.  The unique name might
also be used at some point to help in including stacks.  At runtime
controls might point to the unique name of a support library.  That
library might also try to init controls with that unique name pointing
back at it.  There might be lots of uses for unique names.  I want to
start using them early before too much of my stuff gets out there.  Or
in here.

A plugin might look for info in an object library and provide that.

Some folks mentioned dynamic updating of library stacks.  Having a
read-only property that tells exactly where to get it might be handy.
Maybe.

A short description might make it easier for me to keep up with my
re-usable objects.

I got to thinking about this when I was thinking about how I might do
custom controls.  This is a must smaller set of read-only properties
and with a broader application, so I thought I'd check and see what
folks are doing.

Dar Scott