Application Generators

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Feb 7 14:39:08 EST 2004

michael wrote:

> I noticed Sophie Reader but saw nothing about a Sophie Authoring app.
> Any info on that?
> Something along the lines of TK3 by http://nightkitchen.com is close to
> what I am looking for.
> Sophie is definately nice though.  Maybe you can provide more info on
> thebackend tool(s).

Sophie reads plain text (such as Guttenberg ebooks) and styled text using a
subset of HTML augmented with a few Sophie-specific tags to hold metadata
(author, copyright, etc.) and section breaks (chapters, subchapters, etc).

So they're all just text.  :)

Check out the example books Brian Thomas put together to see how they're
laid out.

For greater efficiency you can author in the HTML editor of your choice, or
even in Rev by exporting its HtmlText. Unlike exporting for the Web,
exportingHtmlText from Rev requires no firther modification ffor WYSIWYG
diplay.

We have portions of other fun features built, including the ability to
browse and download from any number of HTTP-based Sophie libraries, and a
Library Publisher tool for organizing libraries, packaging contents, and
writing the index file Sophie's Library Manager would read to show you
what's on the library.

Alas, giving away free software is a hard way to pay the bills, so those
plans sit behind client projects for the moment....'

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation