The Value of Rev Stacks One Never Sells

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Sat Feb 7 13:18:34 EST 2004

>By adding Rev to their mix suddenly all
>sorts of opportunities open up for them, from custom tools for business
>managers to VPN UIs to CD-ROM sales tools to commercial products that would
>be difficult or impossible to do well on the Web

Let me, if I may, use this portion of Richard's excellent analysis to
suggest there is even more value available to you when you start
using Revolution for in-house, throwaway projects.  For years I have
used HyperCard for any task requiring combining text and images.
This includes letterhead, CD labels, advertising copy layout, "slide
show" presentations, online manuals, etc.

More recently, a long-time client asked me to prepare a summary of
the reasoning for converting the drywall estimating software I wrote
for them ca 1988 to Revolution and exploring how the software might
present itself.  In response I delivered a CD with a Revolution
standalone consisting of a letterhead field, a scrolling text field,
three buttons, and three substacks.

The standalone opens & reads like a scrolling letter, until the field
scrolls completely to the end.  At that point the three buttons
appear.  MouseUp at any button displays one of three possible designs
for the main input screen.

So don't overlook how Revolution can work for you in-house as you use
it to develop the products that pay the rent.
--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company