New to the Revolution, excited but confused about cross-platform UIinsanity! Rev poets, come to my aid, please.

Christopher Mitchell chrism at lumin.us
Sat Feb 7 00:48:59 EST 2004

Hey, Ken,

Thanks!  I've been looking at your site, actually, and the many others
that are out there.  It is unbelievable how many resources people have
made available, even more unbelievable that nobody I know has ever
heard of RunRev.  Per the discussion in another thread, it's hard for
me to get it through to my java/flash guru friend that RunRev is a good
idea, but it seems like the world that knows about it is filled with
real zealots.  (ha.  a Sons of Thunder joke)

Well, it could be a font issue.  I will give it a go with Arial.  This
font is HebraicaII by Linguist Software, not something I could
distribute with a stack anyway.  It is English OSX.3.2 that I'm
running, and XP on the Win side.  I did not put a menu bar in, so in
this case it is getting way cut off even without the bar-space.

Have a look at the files in here called winwarped and macwarped
http://www.luminus.com/runrev/

That's the original Mac spacing I had to do to get the windows to look
as it does in winwarped (which is not warped at all, and what I
expected my original stack to export like).

I'll go give it a test with Arial though.  I notice that there have not
been any posts in the archives for some time about Right to Left
keyboarding and fonts, but this is the major need for which I will be
carrying the standard.  I don't suppose you (or anyone reading this)
knows offhand why when I switch to Hebrew-QWERTY the system
automagically switches me to Lucida Grande, and I can't seem to change
fonts in the right-left scripted mode...

RunRev needs to give a call to Mellel!  Especially with the education
market in graduate/postgrad studies in Middle Eastern languages and
literatures... (I'm currently assisting in editing my prof's
dissertation for U. Ed, and one of the biggest issues has been dealing
with Hebrew, Greek and English in one document.  May I take this time
to express a moment of disdain for MS Word).  Mellel is one of the only
apps I've seen so far that does it right - but even Mail.app works
reasonably well.

Getting wordy, will go try Arial then look for a better Hebrew font...
any suggestions from the gallery?

Yours,
Chris