New to the Revolution, excited but confused about cross-platform UI insanity! Rev poets, come to my aid, please.

Christopher Mitchell chrism at lumin.us
Sat Feb 7 00:26:51 EST 2004

Hey, folks,

I've just registered a Studio license this week and have been tooling
around with this fabulous software, but I'm having some "concerns" when
it comes to how very simple Win32 windows are being represented in
contrast to the Mac windows.

Now, I'm aware of the 21 pixel issue if there is a menu in play (which
I guess is always) but please take a look at these small shots:

http://www.luminus.com/runrev/

The filenames are self-explanatory.  I built the Windows standalone
based on the Mac stack as you see it.  I did some adjusting and was
messing around with property profiles to try to get a Mac and a Windows
setup where there was enough space and proper alignment, but there
seems to be more to it than just that.

Note where the glyph in the Windows shot is being cutoff.  If I turn a
grid plugin on in the editor on the mac, it shows that I have a little
over 30 (THIRTY) pixels space between the top of the glyph and the top
edge of the stack window.  As you can see, it is about equidistant to
the little control bundle at the bottom.  No matter how you slice it,
taking into account the menu area at the top (which is still narrower,
as I understand, than what is shown) the Windows stack has WAY too much
space between the glyph and the controls.  Trying to get them to be in
the right place required almost placing the glyph field right on top of
the controls.

What's up with this?  I knew there were some problems, but this is
enough to require having to go back and redo each element just so it
doesn't show up in a funky place - time consuming and contra the write
once run anywhere purpose of having a multi-environment builder.  Oddly
enough it looks like the controls are in the right place, but this
field is just out in space once it moves over to Windows.

Any hints/help on this?  I'm thinking of getting an Express license to
clean up the UI on Windows but that just seems like  - well - something
that I shouldn't have to do unless there's something hardcore going on
- and this is just a single text field (and for the record is not a
unicode font, so there's none of that issue coming up  - yet...)

Thanks all!

Yours,
Chris