Port Question

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Fri Feb 6 18:38:18 EST 2004

On 2/6/04 3:10 PM, "Dar Scott" <dsc at swcp.com> wrote:

>> What's to prevent one of the Rev apps acting as a server?  What would
>> the
>> "server app" need to do to appear on the net as a server?
>
> The reason one might not be is the potential load on the server.  Also,
> a server might not need to be upgraded as fast as games.

There's no load.  The game consists of two people sending simple text
strings back and forth.

So, moving beyond the theoretical, assume sockets over port 80 is good
enough.  I'm still trying to understand how to address the messages from one
IP address to another when both players are behind firewalls.

Player 1               Player 2
Pub 209.123.40.50      Pub 265.321.50.90
Prv 192.198.0.5        Prv 192.168.0.19

Do I even need to worry about the private addresses?  Should the game
clients simply target the public IP address of the opposing player? Do I
need to instruct players that their routers should direct all port 80
messages to their "game" system or will the router automatically broadcast
port 80 messages to all machines on the local network?

Thanks & Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, Development & Design