Port Question

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Fri Feb 6 17:05:24 EST 2004

On Thursday, February 5, 2004, at 10:31 PM, Scott Rossi wrote:

> All the routers I've owned allow you to assign one system on the
> network a
> DMZ (demilitarized zone) address which I believe allows pretty much any
> traffic in and out.  Maybe this is what has to be set up by the game
> players.

Other routers have ways to set up something similar (fixed NAT with
open rules).

This has the advantage in that one computer behind each firewall can
act as a game communications concentrator.

I find the idea of peer-to-peer communications very interesting.  I
think the firewall is one of the potential problems.

I had suggested the idea of a server or servers.  If you want to
preserve the notion of peer-to-peer, maybe the server is for
facilitating communications only.  And for setting up games among those
looking for players.  Once a game is created then the game server might
then only facilitate game memo distribution and throttling
denial-of-service.

The simplest way is to have all game instances go through the server in
communication, but you might find some performance shortcuts to be used
later.

One of the problems with going to port 80 is that some firewalls will
force this to go through a proxy server and force the protocol to be
http only.  Many firewalls are set up to allow tcp going to other ports
but only if originated from the LAN, that is, from inside.

The method least likely to cause trouble with firewalls might be to
make bonafide http connections from inside to outside.  If that has
performance problems then eventually the game might try some other link
to the server or try to make a direct connection and if those fail,
drop down to http to a server.

I designed Revolution based communications system last year in which a
server and many clients sent little messages to each other, but this
peer-to-peer communications was facilitated by a star-shaped shell
created by clients making tcp connections to the server, even through
firewalls.  So, even though communication was peer-to-peer at some
level, the connection was client-server.

Dar Scott