Let Rev's Light Shine...or Watch It Go Out

Robert Brenstein rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Fri Feb 6 05:05:09 EST 2004

>  > there is still one thing you can do to fight the legacy of X-Talks
>>  prejudice:
>>
>>  DISPLAY THE MADE WITH RUN REV IMAGE ON EVERY APPLICATION YOU RELEASE!
>>
>>  If you run away from the issue and try to hide you applications'
>>  roots, your efforts can only work against the long-term success &
>>  acceptance of the platform you use to build that application.
>
>I would agree wholeheatedly if tempered to read:
>
>     Display the "Made with RunRev" notice in every About box
>
>This has less to do "hiding" than simply message relevance:
>
>99.99% of my customers and my clients' customers are not software developers
>and never will be.  In a noisy world staying on message is critical, and the
>About box is a part of the branding message for the developer delivering it.
>
>Adding other graphic treatments confuses the message without providing much
>real benefit to anyone (not to mention what it can do to one's color palette
>choices).
>
>The good folks at RunRev wisely recognize this, requiring only the text:
>
>    Made with Runtime Revolution
>    Portions (c) 2004 Runtime Revolution Ltd.
>
>This is how professinoal development tools and libraries are credited, from
>MacApp to THINK C to CodeWarrior.  The folks at RunRev have seen how much
>contention was caused by Allegiant's logo requirement, and how many deals
>were lost by Director's harsh About box requirements (don't get Chipp
>started on that <g>).
>
>The 0.01% of folks looking at my About box to see what I'm developing with
>will find what they're looking for easily.
>
>A third-party's About box is a poor substitute for effective marketing, and
>just scares off potential customers.
>
>If one really wants to support Rev effectively there's a much more visible
>way to do it: consider adding a page at your site offering Rev info, tools,
>or even just a description of how your clients benefit from your using Rev.
>Your About box only goes as far as you can throw it, but Google is
>everywhere....
>
>--
>  Richard Gaskin
>  Fourth World Media Corporation
>  Ambassador at FourthWorld.com       http://www.FourthWorld.com

Well said, Richard. As much as I like and depend on MC/Rev, it is
just a development tool and most people do not give a damn what a
given program was developed with as long as it does what they want
and how they want it. Best advertisement among developers is word of
mouth and a proven track. However, anyone who considers switching to
Rev and checks the archives of this list will see numerous
discussions of glitches and workabouts. I am not saying that this is
necessarily much different for other languages/development tools but
the promise and power of Rev is to reduce those.

Robert