Tutorials or instructions on delivering MacOSX apps...

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Fri Feb 6 01:43:42 EST 2004

On Feb 5, 2004, at 10:42 PM, Monte Goulding wrote:
>> Yes, but it does weird stuff- or used to at any rate: Like naming the
>> executable "Revolution",
> I can change this right now... ;-)

That's an important one because if the app crashes, then the crash
report will say "Revolution" and the user will be confused.
CFBundleName can make MacOS display a different name than the
executable name, but it's best to just name the executable correctly I
think.

> and having the wrong (runrev's) copyright
>> information.
> Under what circumstances? Perhaps if you've left them empty?

That could be it- not sure.

> There are also many keys than can be in Info.plist that
>> the Distribution Builder doesn't know about.
> What do you need that the Distribution Builder doesn't know about?

I'm not sure if anything should be added to DB. It could get
overwhelming for the user.

Personally: CFBundleIdentifier would be good to have. I thought it was
important but I forget why. CFBundleHelpBookName and
CFBundleHelpBookFolder are useful if you want your app's html help to
show up in Help Viewer's library of apps. There are dozens of possible
keys in the Info.plist; they get really obscure though. I bet the set
that DB currently has is good for 90% of apps.

> Yep it's easy to edit it in the PLIST editor or a text editor. In some
> cases
> you may need to set keys that the DB doesn't know about as identified
> above.
> In most cases you shouldn't need to though.

And don't forget Property List Editor in the Developer/Applications
folder.

--
Alex Rice | Mindlube Software | http://mindlube.com