Printing Question

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Wed Feb 4 15:57:26 EST 2004

On Feb 4, 2004, at 1:43 PM, Jeff Morrison wrote:

> Sounds really good.
> So basically, to print a report I would make a card that looks like the
> report I want printed and it prints WYSIWYG?

Right! If I recall, in Realbasic, one has to call functions to draw
strings, images and graphics to the printer, object by object, line by
line.

In Runrev you just print the desired card or even an entire stack
(multiple cards). Or you can print a single text field, with header
footer and pagination. Rev has commands for running the OS printer
selection dialog, page setup dialog, and scaling the print output.

When I switched from realbasic to runrev, there was a project that
required printing screens of the entire app.

In realbasic it just wasn't possible- or I couldn't figure it out.

In runrev all the work is done with "print this stack", and everything
I wrote is for getting the printer selection, running page setup,
selecting particular cards and scaling to cards to fit onto the
selected paper size.

There are a few of gotchas with printing: Mac OS X "appearance manager"
controls, and Win32 screen vs. printer fonts. But in general printing
with Runrev works real good.

Hope this helps,

--
Alex Rice | Mindlube Software | http://mindlube.com