Labels and labeled Fields

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Wed Feb 4 12:08:31 EST 2004

>Is there some advantage of buttons as labels over fields?

Dar, et al:

I prefer title buttons to label fields because:

1.  With the correct generic icons, translation is limited to
toolTips (if used)

2.  Title buttons generally require less window space

3.  Title buttons are generally uniform in size

4.  Titles don't change size in different languages (especially nice
for column titles)

5.  With appropriate sets of icons (the icon, the hilitedIcon, the
armedIcon, the disabledIcon, the visitedIcon) and handlers, title
buttons can respond to mouse events and otherwise interact with the
user in many more ways than a label field can.

6.  Having reduced the process of recording winemaking activity to a
series of point & click operations that can be performed entirely via
the mouse, I'm a button-driven interface foole.
--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company