Section 508 compliance

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Feb 4 11:22:02 EST 2004

One of our HyperRESEARCH (a Rev-based tool for qualitative analysis)
customers is blind and has asked whether we have plans for compliance with
Section 508, the accessibility guidelines that govern US federal software
and Web application purchasing:

<http://www.section508.gov/index.cfm?FuseAction=Content&ID=12>

Have any of you made Section 508-compliant apps, and if so what challenges
did you find and how did you overcome them?

For example, § 1194.31(a) seems vague and rather hard to achieve in
software:

  Functional performance criteria.

  (a) At least one mode of operation and information retrieval
  that does not require user vision shall be provided, or
  support for assistive technology used by people who are
  blind or visually impaired  shall be provided.

Do your apps allow keyboard control for all actions in addition to
responding to the mouse?  Any problems with screen readers and Rev's
internal text engine?

Do you have a favorite Web forum or discussion list you could recommend?

TIA -

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation